30.9.12

Kutipan (Quote) - Architecture (4)

If I have a style, I am not aware of it.
Michael Graves

In any architecture, there is an equity between the pragmatic function and the symbolic function.
Michael Graves

At a certain point, I just put the building and the art impulse together. I decided that building was a legitimate way to make sculpture.
Martin Puryear

For many years, I have lived uncomfortably with the belief that most planning and architectural design suffers for lack of real and basic purpose. The ultimate purpose, it seems to me, must be the improvement of mankind.
James Rouse

Color in certain places has the great value of making the outlines and structural planes seem more energetic.
Antonio Gaudi

The frightening thought that what you draw may become a building makes for reasoned lines.
Saul Steinberg

Buildings should serve people, not the other way around.
John Portman

Architects in the past have tended to concentrate their attention on the building as a static object. I believe dynamics are more important: the dynamics of people, their interaction with spaces and environmental condition.
John Portman

Form follows function.
Louis Sullivan

But the building's identity resided in the ornament.
Louis Sullivan

My buildings will be my legacy... they will speak for me long after I'm gone.
Julia Morgan

Rome has not seen a modern building in more than half a century. It is a city frozen in time.
Richard Meier

In Los Angeles, by the time you're 35, you're older than most of the buildings.
Delia Ephron

As a designer, the mission with which we have been charged is simple: providing space at the right cost.
Harry von Zell

The dialogue between client and architect is about as intimate as any conversation you can have, because when you're talking about building a house, you're talking about dreams.
Robert A. M. Stern

Even at the United Nations, where legend has it that the building was designed so that there could be no corner offices, the expanse of glass in individual offices is said to be a dead giveaway as to rank. Five windows are excellent, one window not so great.
Enid Nemy

I have designed the most buildings of any living American architect.
Alexander Jackson Davis

I am but an architectural composer.
Alexander Jackson Davis

No comments: